Selecting a rental property is a very important decision. The proper selection of roommates, location, transportation, costs and quality all effect whether or not you will be pleased with your selection. Also, remember that a lease is a legal contract between the lessees and the lessor. Be sure that you can meet your obligations under the lease agreement.
Things to Consider:
- When you begin your search for housing consider your lifestyle needs such as quiet time required, smoking, pets, financial, etc.
- Look early in the rental season - December is a good time to look in Blacksburg.
- Do not rent a unit that you have not seen.
- Obtain renters insurance to protect yourself.
- Raines Property Management cannot rent a unit that has not been seen by the applicant with our leasing agent. Appointments can be scheduled from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday. Please feel free to visit our website at www.rainespropertymanagement.com for available units and book your appointment on-line.
- We must give our tenants reasonable notice before entering their unit so schedule appointments ahead of time. Only three units can be viewed at any one appointment. Additionally, due to time restrictions we can only show each unit to you once.
- Signing a reservation form and paying a reservation fee reserves the unit you are interested in renting. This reservation fee is equal to one month's rent. Once the reservation fee is paid and should you decide you are no longer interested in the unit the reservation fee is forfeited.
- After reserving a unit the application must be completed and a $25.00 non-refundable fee for all applicants is due. All applicants must make three times the total monthly rent each month and have good credit standing to exclude the guarantor form. Once the applications are approved a lease will be prepared. All Leases are one year contracts, no short term leases.
- Upon signing the lease the reservation fee converts to your security deposit. All leases with us are joint and severable so all roommates and guarantors are responsible.
- You need to have all utilities turned into your name on the lease starting date.
- On the move-in day the rent for that month is due. Rent will be prorated for the month if applicable.
- Cash cannot be accepted for application fees, security deposits or rent. At this time we accept personal checks, money orders, cashier's checks and online credit cards (Visa & MasterCard) payments. We are not equipped to accept international credit cards or debit cards