Call ahead for a smoother move:
- You will need to contact your local phone company for your new telephone directory.
You may need to find out about the following that effect you:
- Shop for a bank - compare fees, interest rates, branch locations, business hours and automated teller machines.
- Check up on schools - verify how to transfer school records, confirm dates classes begin and end. Age requirements, vaccinations and other enrollment needs.
- Locate doctors and lawyers and other services - contact local chamber of commerce for referrals on professional services.
- Contact utilities - call at least two weeks in advance to arrange for connection of services. Find out about hook-up charges and deposit policies.
GET READY: One month before you move.
___ Set up a calendar for your move.
___ Write down important new phone numbers.
___ Finalize arrangements with your moving company.
___ Call friends and relatives to let them know you are moving.
___ Collect and keep important papers handy.
___ Begin packing seldom used articles.
GET READY: Two weeks before your move.
___ Clear up outstanding accounts.
___ Transfer checking and saving accounts and contents of safe deposit box to your new community.
___ Transfer long distance phone service
___ Begin serious packing of items you won't need over the next two weeks.
___ Send change of address cards and leave a forwarding address with the post office.
___ Arrange disconnect/connect date with local utilities.
___ Arrange for pet travel.
___ Service your car, especially if traveling a long distance.
___ Drain/dispose of flammable liquids in the lawn mowers, etc.